Ok so there are a couple of reasons behind this post. First, there was the Mars proximity email which had been circulating the last few weeks, and which turned out to be a hoax. Then there was this weeks hilarious episode of Flight of the Conchords featuring several David Bowie dream sequences culminating in one of the most memorable musical segments of the season (embedded below for your viewing pleasure). So I give you my tribute to David Bowie and to Mars. Please note that the only reference to 30 Seconds to Mars is to say that I will not be including any songs authored or performed by said group whom I personally don't care for. See I've already devoted more time to them than I wanted!
- Seu Jorge - Life on Mars (an absolute gorgeous translation)
- Misfits - Teenagers From Mars (Glen Danzig complete with his Devilock)
- Paul Westerberg - John, I'm Only Dancing (great version from a vastly under appreciated artist)
- Faith No More - Woodpecker From Mars (no Chuck Mosley, but no Mike Patton either)
- M. Ward - Let's Dance (a slower almost flamenco version)
- Ben Harper - Burn One Down (from the Live from Mars disc - a stretch I know, but a great song)
- The Get Up Kids - Suffragette City (fairly true cover of a great song)
- Grateful Dead - Ship of Fools (taken from the From the Mars Hotel disc - another stretch, but another great song)
- The Last Town Chorus - Modern Love (a beautiful heart wrenching version equal to the original)
- Blondie - Rapture (kickin' it street knowledge)
And you get in your car and drive real far.
And you drive all night and then you see a light.
And it comes right down and it lands on the ground.
And out comes the man from Mars.
And you try to run but he's got a gun.
And he shoots you dead and he eats your head.
And then you're in the man from Mars.
You go out at night...eatin' cars.
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too.
Mercurys and Subaru.