Wednesday, December 19, 2007

New Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds Single Posted


So the first single from Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds' forthcoming album, Dig, Lazerus, Dig has been released to radio, or at least Radio 1 in the UK. Nick warned all that this would not sound like anything he's ever done with the Bad Seeds, and based on a couple of listens to the title track, I would have to say that he was spot on. Here is a little insight from Nick himself into the concept of the album.


"Ever since I can remember hearing the Lazarus story, when I was a kid, you know, back in church, I was disturbed and worried by it. Traumatized, actually. We are all, of course, in awe of the greatest of Christ's miracles - raising a man from the dead - but I couldn't help but wonder how Lazarus felt about it. As a child it gave me the creeps, to be honest. I've taken Lazarus and stuck him in New York City, in order to give the song, a hip, contemporary feel. I was also thinking about Harry Houdini who spent a lot of his life trying to debunk the spiritualists who were cashing in on the bereaved. He believed there was nothing going on beyond the grave. He was the second greatest escapologist, Harry was, Lazarus, of course, being the greatest. I wanted to create a kind of vehicle, a medium, for Houdini to speak to us if he so desires, you know, from beyond the grave. Sometimes, late at night, if you listen to the song hard enough, you can hear his voice and the sad clanking of his chains. "I don't know what it is but there is definitely something going on upstairs", he seems to be saying. It is, most of all, an elegy to the New York City of the 70's." - Nick Cave

The single will be available as a limited edition 7", CD and download on February 18, and we'll have to wait for the full record until March 14. Here's a little sneak peak at the title track from the new album. It is quite different, but still Nick at the core and I quite like it. Judge for yourself.

Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (radio rip)
File removed at the insistence of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's naughty to post leaks and so on, but thanks for this. I am so looking forward to the new album it's embarrassing! I just put Grinderman top of my Best of 2007 list too.

Yellow Dog said...

I couldn't bear not share this. It is just too damn big. Besides, it is a radio rip. I don't think anyone will keep this as their copy to avoid buying the record. Grinderman is most definitely in my best of '07 list as well. The list continues to be in flux so I am trying to wait until I can nail my list down before posting. Glad you enjoyed the track. The record should be interesting. I'm hearing it will be closer to Let Love In.

Anonymous said...

I love Let Love In, so if it is, then I shall be a very happy bunny indeed.

Anonymous said...

Cheers for this. You've made my day! As great as that Grinderman album is, any Bad Seeds album that resembles Let Love In is surely going to be a good thing?